Blog Chain: What's the Odds?

It's blog chain time again! If you're new here, this is the time when a group of fellow authors and aspiring writers will get together and ask writing questions to each other. Each of us takes a round to ask a question, and this time it's Laura who has the question for us.

What keeps you going (either trying to get an agent or to get published or finish that WIP that's kicking your butt) when you know the odds are stacked way against you?

The odds are stacked against me? Really? You mean that, even if I write a good book, a book that is publishable, a book where everyone (i.e. those friends who wouldn't hurt my feelings and rave about every piece of writing I do) said will propel me into the legendary realms of becoming a big time author like Stephen King and J.K. Rowling, I still might not get published?

The odds are stacked against me? Way against me?

I don't believe you. I don't HAVE to believe this. I believe I wrote a great story. I believe someone would like to read that story. I believe that I will one day become published. Sure, I might not get onto Oprah's book club listing, but I'll see my novel in the stores. I'll download it on an e-reader. I'll even sign books to those fans who may write or email me.

Denial can be a powerful tool. So can hope. Whichever I wish to choose, I'll still tap my fingers against the keyboard and keep cranking out stories.

Kate's post is before mine. Eric's post will appear tomorrow. I'll be back on Wednesday as I start this next coming blog chain round.

6 comments:

  1. Ah, yes, denial is more than just a river in Egypt; ;) it's a coping mechanism for dealing with life.

    Looking forward to seeing what the next topic is!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Write in good health. Your stories are good. You have a readership. Reaching them is another matter. Keep up the good work.
    WK

    ReplyDelete
  3. You mean if I write you, you'll sign a book for me? Wooohoo! (gets out notebook paper)

    Great response, Michelle. I'm right there with ya :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved this post, it gave me a dose of hope! So I'm awarding you with the Versatile Blogger Award.

    You can read more about it here:

    http://michelebelisle.blogspot.com
    I'm also passing the rules for accepting this award:

    * Thank the person who gave you the award and link back to their site in your original post.
    * Tell us seven things about yourself.
    * Pass along the award to five newly discovered bloggers.
    * Contact these bloggers and let them know they got this award.

    It’s as simple as that. Hope you accept!
    Michele Barrow-Belisle

    ReplyDelete
  5. "denial" HAHAH!!! Love that!

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOL. Denial is a powerful thing, sometimes the only thing that can keep us going.

    ReplyDelete

All comments are welcome. Thanks for stopping by!